Help us to help them!
Who are you?
Perfect Pets Rescue, Inc. is a non-profit dog rescue licensed by the Department of Agriculture of GA. We rescue all dogs from high-kill shelters in GA, vet them completely and transport them to NY. Currently, we are very small, but we hope that we can win others for our cause and grow in the future to help more GA dogs survive the kill shelters.
Where do you get your dogs from?
99% of our dogs come from kill shelters in GA, the other 1% are owner surrenders we agreed to take in. GA has an overabundance of great dogs that end up in kill shelters, small ones, fluffy ones, puppies, purebred dogs... you name it. We try to get the dogs last minute, and many of the dogs we have been adopting into great families were only hours away from being euthanized. We don't work with breeders of any kind and are unable to take owner surrenders!
Where are you located?
Our fosters are located in the Hudson Valley close to Poughkeepsie, NY and
Kingston, NY. Our animals are quarantined in Atlanta, GA before they are transported up North.
How much is the adoption donation?
We ask for $375 (depending on age and breed) which includes shots, deworming, fecal examination, spay/neuter, microchipping and a first application of flea and heartworm prevention. All dogs over the age of 6 months are tested for heartworms as well. Puppies receive age appropriate vaccinations. All our adopted pets come with 30 days of pre-paid health insurance by Shelter care. We also try and help the seniors and if they qualify, they have a special Grey Muzzle Adoption donation of $100.
All cats and kittens have been spayed/neutered, microchipped, had their first vaccines, fecal and Combo test. Their adoption fees range from $100-$150 depending on age and breed.
Why is it so much?
Please keep in mind that we are not selling dogs. We are adopting them out to a new loving family that will cherish and take care of them. The (sometimes extensive) vet care and transport from GA to NY does cost a lot of money. We take in dogs and cats that need basic vetting, but also individual animals that will need surgery, treatment of an infection or other procedures. You name it, we have seen it! All our staff are volunteers, we do not get paid to do this! Also, please keep in mind that having a dog costs money. Proper medical care, annual vaccinations and medications will add up to a couple hundred dollars at the very least. You should also be able to cover the vet bill in case of an emergency.
What is your application procedure?
We talk to every potential adopter in person, check vet references and conduct home visits if we think it is necessary. An adoption agreement has to be signed as well. Please, be patient with us. We are all volunteers.
Are donations tax deductible?
Yes, we are a public charity under section 501(c)(3). All donations are tax deductible.
Help! My dog has behavior issues. Can you give me advice?
We are glad to answer any questions you might have. We have found this website very helpful for almost any kind of issue and tips for new puppy owners: http://www.mdspca.org/petcare/behavior.html
We also recommend that you take your dog to a trainer if the problem persists. Contact us for a list of trainers we recommend.